Hey everyone, welcome to our recipe page, if you’re looking for Traditional South African Bobotie recipe, look no further! We provide you only the best Traditional South African Bobotie recipe here. We also have wide variety of recipes to try.
Before you jump to Traditional South African Bobotie recipe, you may want to read this short interesting healthy tips about Healthy Eating Can Be An Easy Option.
Making the decision to eat healthily provides incredible benefits and is becoming a more popular way of life. There are many health conditions associated with a poor diet and there is a cost to the overall economy as individuals suffer from conditions such as heart disease and hypertension. Although we’re always being encouraged to follow healthy eating habits, it is also easier than ever to rely on fast food and other convenience items that are not healthy for us. It is likely that lots of people assume it will take great effort to eat a healthy diet or that they have to make a large scale change to their way of life. It is possible, however, to make several simple changes that can start to make a positive impact to our day-to-day eating habits.
One way to deal with this to start seeing some results is to understand that you do not need to change everything right away or that you have to completely eliminate certain foods from your diet. Even more crucial than totally altering your diet is just substituting healthy eating choices whenever you can. Soon enough, you will find that you actually prefer to ingest healthy foods after you have eaten that way for some time. Like many other habits, change happens over a period of time and once a new way of eating becomes part of who you are, you will not feel the need to go back to your old diet.
To sum up, it is not difficult to start to make healthy eating a part of your daily lifestyle.
We hope you got insight from reading it, now let’s go back to traditional south african bobotie recipe. To make traditional south african bobotie you need 16 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook it.
The ingredients needed to make Traditional South African Bobotie:
- You need 1 kg of free-range beef mince meat.
- Take 2 of onions, chopped.
- Get 30 g of butter.
- Provide 2 slices of brown bread.
- Prepare 1/14 cup of buttermilk.
- Provide 3 of free-range eggs.
- You need 1/4 cup of dried apricots.
- You need 1/4 cup of raisins.
- Use 1 tablespoon of apricot jam.
- You need 2 tablespoons of Mrs balls chutney.
- Prepare 1 tablespoon of bobotie spice mix.
- Take 1 tablespoon of curry powder.
- Prepare 2 tablespoons of brown sugar.
- Get 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric.
- Prepare 4 of bay leaves.
- Use to taste of Salt and pepper.
Steps to make Traditional South African Bobotie:
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C. Melt the butter and add the chopped onions to a large pot and cook until translucent. Add the mince to the pot and cook until golden brown and caramelized..
- Season with salt and pepper. Tear bread into smaller pieces and mash it with 1/4 cup of buttermilk and 1 beaten egg. Then add to the pot with the mince..
- Mix the raisins, apricots, curry powder, bobotie spice mix, 2 bay leaves, chutney and apricot jam, then add to the pot of mince. Stir to combine and take off the heat. Transfer to a roasting dish..
- For the egg mixture, beat the remaining two eggs with the remaining buttermilk and turmeric. Pour this egg mixture over the cooked spiced mince meat and place the remaining bay leaves on top of the unset bobotie then bake for 20 minutes..
- Serve with savoury yellow rice or basmati rice..
If you find this Traditional South African Bobotie recipe valuable please share it to your good friends or family, thank you and good luck.