Hey everyone, welcome to our recipe page, if you’re looking for Okra (Bhindi) Sambar recipe, look no further! We provide you only the perfect Okra (Bhindi) Sambar recipe here. We also have wide variety of recipes to try.
Before you jump to Okra (Bhindi) Sambar recipe, you may want to read this short interesting healthy tips about Healthy Eating Doesn’t Need To Be A Chore.
The benefits of healthy eating are today being given more publicity than ever before and there are a number of reasons for this. The overall economy is affected by the number of men and women who are suffering from health problems such as high blood pressure, which is directly related to poor eating habits. While we’re constantly being advised to follow healthy eating habits, it is also easier than ever to depend on fast food and other convenience items that are not good for us. It is likely that many people assume it will take so much effort to eat a healthy diet or that they have to make a large scale change to how they live. In reality, however, just making a few modest changes can positively impact everyday eating habits.
You can obtain results without eliminating foods from your diet or make substantial changes right away. Even more important than entirely modifying your diet is just substituting healthy eating choices whenever possible. As you become accustomed to the taste of healthy foods, you will discover that you’re eating more healthily than before. Over time, your eating habits will change and your new eating habits will totally replace the way you ate in the past.
Obviously, it’s not hard to start incorporating healthy eating into your daily routine.
We hope you got insight from reading it, now let’s go back to okra (bhindi) sambar recipe. To make okra (bhindi) sambar you need 17 ingredients and 16 steps. Here is how you cook that.
The ingredients needed to prepare Okra (Bhindi) Sambar:
- Use of Gravy.
- Provide 1 of lemon sized lump of Tamarind.
- Prepare 5 of to 8 Green Chillies..
- Take 2 lb of Okra (Bhindi).
- You need 3 tsp of Sugar.
- Take 3 tsp of Salt, or to taste.
- Take 1/4 tsp of Turmeric Powder.
- Prepare 1 bunch of Cilantro, shredded.
- You need 1/2 tsp of Asafoetida.
- Use 2 cup of Toor dal (Split yellow pigeon peas or lentils).
- Provide of Tempering.
- Provide 1 tbsp of Oil (Coconut Oil works best).
- Provide 1 tsp of Mustard Seeds.
- Use 1 tsp of Urad dal (Split black gram).
- Prepare 4 of Dried red chillies.
- Provide 1 pinch of (generously) Asafoetida.
- Take 5 of or 6 Curry leaves.
Steps to make Okra (Bhindi) Sambar:
- Pressure cook the Toor Dal (pigeon peas) in enough water until it is completely soft. Mix into a rough paste. The amount of water depends on the brand of lentils. But a general rule of thumb is to add enough water to completely soak the lentils until the water level reaches one inch over the level of the lentils in the cooker..
- Wash and pat dry the Okra thoroughly. It is imperative that the Okra is absolutely dry. If the okra is wet, then it is messy to cut the okra, as it becomes very slimy..
- Cut the okra into about a centimeter long cylinders..
- Chop the green chillies. Chop finely if you want a spicy Sambar. If you don't want it so spicy, you can just slit them lengthwise, and take them out later..
- Soak the tamarind in some warm water for about 5 minutes, and squeeze all the pulp out of the tamarind..
- Add the tamarind pulp, okra and the chillies to a pot, and add just enough water to barely soak the Okra..
- Add the salt, turmeric, sugar..
- Bring it to a boil. Continue cooking covered on medium heat until Okra starts getting a rusty green color..
- Once that happens, add in the majority of the cilantro, saving some for garnish.
- Continue cooking for about a minute. Then add the Toor dal paste..
- Once this comes to a boil, add the asafoetida, and turn off the heat. Add the remaining cilantro, and keep it covered..
- Now start preparing the tempering. in a small pan, take the oil. Once the oil is hot, add the Urad dal. Add the mustard seeds. Once the seeds start crackling, add the dried red chillies. take the pan off the heat..
- Add the curry leaves and the asafoetida. Be careful as the oil will splash around vigorously.
- Pour the tempering over the Sambar and keep it covered until serving..
- Serve with plain rice for a wholesome meal..
- Bon Apetit!.
If you find this Okra (Bhindi) Sambar recipe helpful please share it to your friends or family, thank you and good luck.