Hey everyone, welcome to my recipe site, If you’re looking for recipes idea to cook today, look no further! We provide you only the perfect French Onion Skillet recipe here. We also have wide variety of recipes to try.
Before you jump to French Onion Skillet recipe, you may want to read this short interesting healthy tips about Healthy Eating Can Be An Easy Thing To Follow.
The benefits of healthy eating are nowadays being given more publicity than ever before and there are many reasons why this is so. There are numerous illnesses linked with a poor diet and there is a cost to the overall economy as people suffer from conditions such as heart disease and hypertension. There are more and more campaigns to try to get people to lead a more healthy way of living and nonetheless it is also easier than ever to rely on fast, convenient food that is not good for our health. In all probability, a lot of people assume that it takes a great deal of work to eat healthily and that they will need to drastically change their lifestyle. In reality, though, simply making a few modest changes can positively impact everyday eating habits.
These better food choices can be applied to other foods such as your cooking oils. Olive oil contains monounsaturated fat which can help to fight bad cholesterol. It is also a great source of Vitamin E which has numerous benefits and is also great for your skin. It may be that you already think that you consume fruit and vegetables but it can be worthwhile considering how fresh these are depending on where you get these. If at all possible, try buying organic produce that has not been sprayed with harmful chemical substances. Finding a local supplier of fresh fruits and veggies will give you the choice of consuming foods that still contain almost all of the nutrients which are oftentimes lost when produce has been kept in storage before it is sold.
Thus, it should be somewhat obvious that it’s easy to add healthy eating to your everyday life.
We hope you got benefit from reading it, now let’s go back to french onion skillet recipe. To make french onion skillet you only need 14 ingredients and 14 steps. Here is how you cook it.
The ingredients needed to make French Onion Skillet:
- Take 2 Tbsp. of butter.
- You need of Dense bread, cubed, enough to cover bottom of cast iron skillet.
- You need 1-2 cups of cubed, shredded, minced, sliced meat of your choice.
- Provide 1 (10 1/2 oz.) of can French Onion soup.
- You need 6-8 oz. of Sour cream.
- Get 8 oz. of mozzarella cheese, shredded.
- Prepare of Optional:.
- Get of Mushrooms.
- Prepare of Onions.
- Prepare of Thyme.
- Provide of Substitions:.
- Prepare of Bread cubes can be substituted with boxed stuffing mixes.
- Prepare of Provolone or Swiss work as alternative cheese options.
- Take of Beef broth can sub for French onion soup.
Instructions to make French Onion Skillet:
- I pulled everything out of my fridge and pantry that needed to be used up TODAY. Then I tapped my foot with my hands on my hips, tilted my head and chewed on my lip, wrinkled my forehead and…. Well this is where I ended up…..
- Melt 2 Tbsp butter in an iron skillet, or an oven proof skillet. I use a skillet because I'm going to cook, stick in the fridge and reheat after my kids basketball game..
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cube bread into 1" or hearty bite sized pieces, needs to hold up during saucing process but not so big you need to cut it up later..
- Once butter has melted and just started to brown, throw in the bread, move around to cover the bottom of the skillet but do not toss it. You want an even layer of buttered, slightly fried bread. Remove from heat once bread has started to brown..
- Next, top with meat. I minced up some leftover steak in my food processor and sprinkled it all over. With the flavor combinations in this recipe, red meat definitely works best, but you do not have to mince the meat, just avoid large pieces that will require additional cutting at serving time..
- Then I pulled out some leftover canned mushrooms.. Sighed… I went to the store today, failed to buy some fresh fungi and this is what I'm left with. Which, as I took the picture I had the realization they may be the ugliest of the foods. Proceed to chop the mushrooms, continue to contemplate using a grocery list…. Sprinkle those ugly little pieces of yumminess on top the bread and steak skillet..
- In a bowl whisk 1 can French onion soup and 8 oz. of sour cream together. If you only have a partial container of sour cream, just add some milk or cream to make up the difference..
- Pour the sour cream mixture on top of the skillet meal you have assembled..
- Bake at 375 degrees for about 20 to 25 minutes..
- Shred 8 oz. of mozzarella or as much cheese as you want, or until your arm gets tired, or until you hit your knuckle on the cheese grater…. Probably works to tear open a package of shredded cheese too… I didn't buy any at the store today… Grocery lists people….
- Now decide how soon you're going to eat… If you are hungry go ahead and top the skillet with the cheese and pop it back in the oven for a couple minutes or let it sit covered while you pull together the rest of your meal. For me this is a make ahead meal, so I shredded my cheese on a piece of foil. Then I wrapped it up in a little pouch and threw it in the fridge with the cooled, prepared skillet. "Threw" may not be the appropriate verb here..
- Later….. I pull skillet out of fridge, top with cheese, cover with foil, and heat on the stove top over a medium low heat… While trying to get my kids to shower and put away their sports gear and I try to find my cork screw and wine (which strangely enough I remembered without a grocery list….) Hmmmm……
- Enjoy :).
If you find this French Onion Skillet recipe helpful please share it to your friends or family, thank you and good luck.